Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting service involves storing and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server run by a website hosting provider. There are various classes of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's have a glance at them. Doing so, you can conclude what you want, on the basis of whether you'd like to run a web page, mails, or to share files with comrades and partners.
- File hosting: a service distributed by given companies, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage services often involve ads by the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a given period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is an entirely inapt explanation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would divide the tasks at hand between individual packs of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different site hosting services (electronic mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a sort of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain corporations provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you wish to share a huge quantity of images with buddies or partners since the solution is generally free. You will get a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to handling your email mailbox accounts. Some vendors offer web hosting services for websites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you want to create a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can create email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video clips and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have difficulty with your web site hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to possess as many videos as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to run a site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting groups since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mail box accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Lifenethost, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in a single location. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the standard email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are conceived for specific content only.